The Houston County Democratic Party encourages county voters to look at the Secretary of State’s sample county ballot for the 2014 Democratic Party primary on May 20th. In addition to encouraging voters to vote YES on four ballot questions issued by the state Democratic party, the county party also encourages voters to vote YES on three ballot questions issued by the county Democratic Party. A majority YES vote in the primary will send the questions to the general ballot on November 4, 2014.
State Ballot Questions
1. Should Georgia raise the state minimum wage above the current $5.15 an hour?
2. Should Georgians’ federal tax dollars be returned to Georgia to fund Medicaid expansion and relieve the indigent care burden on our hospitals?
3. Should the Constitution of Georgia be amended to create an independent ethics commission, not tied to the Governor’s office, legislature, or other elected office, to more effectively police potential ethics violations by elected officials?
4. Should the Constitution of Georgia be amended to make the education budget Georgia’s first funding priority?
Houston County Ballot Questions
5. Should the Georgia Legislature vote to approve Medicaid Expansion in Georgia under the provisions established in the Affordable Care Act?
6. Should the Georgia Legislature repeal the GA Stand Your Ground Law (O.C.G.A. 16-3-23.1) and return to the settled common law on self- defense?
7. If the Georgia Legislature elects not to repeal the GA Stand Your Ground Law (O.C.G.A. 16-3- 23.1), should the Legislature amend the current law to remove ambiguity and restore the duty to retreat outside of one’s home or place of business?